I remember when the 2011 federal election was about to start, my mother and I were watching the news and they showed an appearance Jack Layton was making and we both gasped at how terrible he looked. Haggard, gaunt, using a cane to get around....but the remarkable thing was, unlike pretty much anyone else on the face of the Earth would, Jack started looking better and better as the election wore on. (Seriously, look at Barack Obama. 3 years in office and he looks 15 years older than when he started) Like he was feeding off the momentum and energy his party was gaining. I think his increasingly vibrant-looking public appearances settled concerns about his health, and reassured that he was going to be ok, if he could make it through something so arduous looking so robust. It's so heartbreaking that he did make it through all of that, leading the NDP to such amazing gains, and then was robbed of the chance to enjoy it. I worry now, with such a powerful influence gone, that Stephen Harper will take this opportunity to run roughshod over any social progress that might have been made (I'm sorry, I just assume he's
Tuesday night was my last shift on GA3. I think, to my credit, I only cried about 5 times. A3 gave me my first nursing job, and showed me what it was like to be part of a family in the place that you work. To face life and death, joy and sorrow, hope and despair, with a group of people you can unquestionably count on to have your back. That, contrary to my senior practicum experience, nursing wasn't exclusively populated by backstabbing, negative, petty people who want to see you fail. I was accepted and supported from my very first day on A3, and I will never forget that. I wouldn't be the nurse I am today without the fabulous people there.
Just as an aside, may I say how irritating I find Hugh McFadyen's new election commercials. Talking about how "Greg Selinger promised an end to hallway medicine and now we have more hallway medicine than ever." I work at the biggest hospital in the province, and we don't keep people in the hallways. If we're not able to accomodate someone, we send them somewhere that is. Probably not hallway medicine like they had back when the last Conservative government fired all those nurses....Hey. Hugh. If health care is going to be one of your election "legs to stand on", you'd better make sure it's not made of crap.
"Always remember that the future comes one day at a time." - Dean Acheson
"Always remember that the future comes one day at a time." - Dean Acheson
No comments:
Post a Comment