Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Waves of relief followed by.......

So after much anxiety, hand-wringing and some hyperventilating (not to mention only about an hour of sleep beforehand total), I trotted off to my ICU course interview this morning.  And you know what?  I nailed it.  I don't think I've ever had an interview go so well.  I tend to interview kinda airheaded.  You know when someone asks you a question, and you can tell there's a specific answer they're looking for, but you're not giving it?  Yeah, that wasn't me this morning for a change.  Nailed it.  I'm in.  I start 6 months in the Ninth Circle of Hell on September 6 (the interviewer's words in addition to mine!).  ICU is pretty much the biggest thing a bedside nurse can aspire to.  I always thought I'd do it some day, but I thought it would take me years to feel ready.  I'm kind of nervous but mostly excited.  I want to take a moment to thank my darling friend Michael Yeibio for talking me off the ledge and bringing my voice down several octaves last night.  There's a certain kind of tension I'm not used to an abundance of in my life, and I wasn't managing it well.  Who knew that not remembering the difference between hypercapneic and hypoxic respiratory failure could incite such frenetic pacing and tachycardia??

I'm not enjoying this season of True Blood.  I'm just not.  It doesn't leave me hanging and caring what happens next week like it used to...they're following too many fringe-character storylines no one cares about...the music continues to be great though, like this past weeks title song:


Neko Case also did a really great cover of She's Not There with Nick Cave for the season premiere.  I still like Malcolm McLaren's cover from Kill Bill better, but this one is definitely different:


It's Folklorama time again in Winnipeg, the time of year when we all feel obligated to head out to various community centres, churches and arenas to wait in interminable lines for standing room only to watch some uncoordinated teenagers attempt the cultural dances of their homelands at the behest of their parents.  Having said that, there are a couple of new ones I wouldn't mind checking out this year (Brasil Carnival, Ethiopia, Punjab, 2 of which are at the Convention Centre, so I'll probably actually go).  I think Folklorama is one of those things that everyone in Winnipeg is "supposed" to like.  Like Folk Fest.  No one wants to admit it's tedious, disappointing or insufferable because it's one of the few things this city really has going for it.  Which is probably ok. 

Lastly, congratulations to my friends Steve and Roy on the births of their babies, Steve a little boy named Zach, and Roy a little girl named Annalise.  Finally, gender balance has come to HSC!!

That's all for now, thanks for reading :)

"Do more of what makes you happy" - Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment