The longer I do the job that I do, and the longer I am around simply as a human being, the more I wonder how people can do such terrible things to each other. I have not become desensitized to it like people assume you will be working in the medical field, and in some ways I find it harder to stomach now than I used to. Maybe because I'm exposed to it more directly. Maybe because I've been in ICU some weeks now, and I've seen people die from the brutality meted out to them by others, sometimes by their own flesh and blood.
About 2 weeks ago, the 1st murder of the year in Winnipeg was committed. Sadly, people were quite surprised it took til the 23rd of January for it to happen. It happened 2 apartments directly below mine, when a man took it upon himself to beat and stab his wife to death. They were new immigrants to Canada from Eritrea, and had only been here about 5 months. The person this woman had been to hell and back with, who she had tried so long to build a new future with, who she should have been able to trust inherently, was the person that took everything from her.
Then last week, in Winnipeg's 2nd homicide of the year, a 29 year old man got into an argument with 3 other men at his residence. 2 of them left for a time, only to return with knives and stab him repeatedly, and ultimately, fatally. According to news reports, the accused are only being charged with second-degree murder, not first. While I've always been vaguely aware that first-degree murder entails an element of pre-meditation, I decided to find out the difference. According to the Criminal Code of Canada, first-degree murder is "planned and deliberate" whereas second-degree is "more likely spur of the moment". The 2 accused in this case left the home, giving themselves ample time to cool down and consider their course of action, and the course of action they chose was to return with knives. In what way is this NOT "planned and deliberate"??? As someone pointed out to me today, perhaps the police feel their chance of getting a conviction on second-degree murder is better than taking their chances trying for first-degree. If that is in fact the case, I guess some conviction is better than none at all, but it's unfortunate the legal system is so inefficient as to tie the police's hands this way.
Anyways, onto frothier things....
I love wearing scarves, and this girl is cute as a button. Enjoy :)
My sister and I were discussing Paula Deen's announcing that she has type 2 diabetes a few weeks back, and how everyone seems to think she was obligated to announce this news sooner, and in some cases, that she should have completely overhauled her way of cooking the very minute she found out about her diagnosis. She's also being criticized by many, (including a usual personal favorite of mine, Anthony Bourdain), for signing on with a drug company to represent an anti-diabetic medication. Firstly, I think her health is her own damn business, and no one else's. I don't think she has an obligation as a public figure to disclose what is very personal and life-changing information the moment she finds out. If people who claim to be such huge fans of hers (who are now feeling SO betrayed that she kept this to herself) didn't realize the way she cooks isn't conducive to a long and healthy life, well perhaps they should have taken their heads out of their asses sooner. Her high-fat, high-calorie cooking has been the butt of obvious jokes for years, and it's common knowledge it's not exactly good for you. To the people who think she should change the cooking she presents on TV, in books and in magazines, I say B.S. There are umpteen dozen food personalities out there who cook lighter, and make over high fat recipes, but Paula Deen built her brand on her particular style of cooking, and there are few others out there doing the same thing. She's never come out and said her cooking is how people should be eating every meal of every day. In terms of her representing a drug company, is anyone surprised in the least that a celebrity jumped at a timely opportunity to line their own pockets? I think not. At least it's a treatment she herself actually (allegedly) uses. I doubt very much that Denis Leary actually drives a shitty Ford truck, or that Jennifer Lopez uses a drugstore razor. As for Anthony Bourdain implying that she somehow is giving people diabetes and then profiting off of their requiring treatment for it, I call shenanigans on that too. People should be accountable for their own decisions about what they feed themselves, and how they treat their bodies. Paula Deen is not responsible for anyone else's health. The American (and sadly frequently Canadian) mindset is to try to offload blame for any and all of life's ills onto someone/something/the government, claiming ignorance/naivety/etc. This victimized way of thinking is underselling us as a free-thinking, free-willed people with open access to information. We are all responsible for ourselves and our choices.
Now just to to finish off on a lighter note:
Oh and to those of you wondering, less than 2 weeks left in this 6 month nursing boot camp I voluntarily signed on for!!! What was I thinking??!?!! Hahahahahaha!!!
Thank you for reading, and have a wonderful and well-informed week :)
"In the midst of winter, I found there was, within myself, an invincible summer" - Albert Camus
No comments:
Post a Comment