Saturday, January 21, 2012

Trivial gripes of little substance

Dear Jennifer Hudson,

If there's something you're up to besides talking about your body and/or Weight Watchers, we would all love to see/hear it.   Otherwise.....ummmm.....we get it.  You weigh less now than you used to.  Good on you.  But you've won an Oscar and the top-of-mind thing anyone knows about you now is that you went on a diet.  It may be time to move on.

Sincerely,

Everyone routinely exposed to mainstream media

I was super sad to find out today that Heidi Klum and Seal are filing for divorce.  I mean yeeeeesh.  If there was ever a couple you were sure would make it, it was those 2.  He adopted one of her kids!  What happens to that now??

There's been chitter chatter going on here in Winnipeg about one of the Winnipeg Jets skipping out on his cheques at a number of city restaurants, and not tipping even when his bill IS comped.  If this is true, it's obviously an inexcusable dick move.  It seems like the people who expect/get the most for free are the people who least need it. However, this is not the point of what I want to say. In the backlash against this individual (on Facebook anyways), people are super pissed because it "shows a lack of respect for the city" and are continually pointing out that "he's the one who never wanted to come to Winnipeg in the first place" and "maybe he's trying to get traded since he hates this city so much" and "Teemu Selanne would never do anything like that!".  Ladies and gentleman, the kid is 20 years old, with clearly more money than brains, and enjoying a fairly high level of professional success.  He's only been playing a couple of years, and if he didn't want to come to Winnipeg, who could blame him??  Winnipegers bitch and complain about this city ALL the time but God forbid anyone else do it!  If I was a 20 year old kid making bank like that, I wouldn't want to leave Atlanta either!!  Nicer weather, bigger market, less scrutiny.  Winnipeg has a completely (and nearly insufferable at times) small town mentality.  Evander Kane isn't Teemu Selanne and never will be.  That glorious man (apart from being the only Finnish person I could ever like), is a once-in-a-lifetime find.  Trying to do a side-by-side comparison is silly.

I went to my first movie of 2012 today, and saw Girl With The Dragon Tattoo.  It was really, really good.  Really, really graphic, but tense and well done throughout (maaaaaybe a titch long?).  I find Rooney Mara vaguely unlikeable in interviews, but there's no denying this was a tour de force performance.  Even Daniel Craig, perhaps one of the most uneven and inconsistent actors working today, turns in something pretty great.  Go see it.  Apparently if it doesn't do a little better revenue-wise, they won't bother making the sequels :(

The Charles Barkley SNL a couple of weeks ago may very well be one of the best and most solid all the way through episodes of that show I've ever seen.  Barkley can't speak at a normal tempo or read a teleprompter and I for one find it hilarious.  The Daniel Radcliffe episode that followed the week after (the Lana del Rey performance notwithstanding) was one of the worst I've ever seen.  He's such a sweetie and tries so hard, but he was given nothing to work with.  The writing was just awful and uninspired.


Thus ends my collection of trivial gripes of little substance.  For now.


"Why you have 5 spare bedrooms???  You have 5 grandmas??" - Charles Barkley

No comments:

Post a Comment