Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Vitriol and sparkles!


As most people know, I’m not a fan of Sam Katz, the mayor of this city circling the drain.  He treats this city with disdain and contempt, and seems to hold his office purely for the purposes of using this place as his own personal cash cow.  I’m not sure if he ever did, but he doesn’t even bother to try to keep up the appearance of caring about his job anymore.  And when faced with any manner of criticism, his response is to basically flip the public the proverbial bird.  Every. Single. Time.  Last year, Sam Katz held a taxpayer-funded Christmas party at a restaurant he owns, essentially funnelling the city coffers into his own pockets.  Unsurprisingly, people were kind of annoyed with this.  And yet he’s publicly doing it again this year.  "When people are busy, I’m able to get a significant discount to save us money," Katz said. "From my point of view, it’s a win-win."  Well….which is it?  Is it that you’re trying to save taxpayers the money (for something they shouldn’t be paying for in the first place) or is it that venues are all booked up?  Were you unaware the holidays were coming this year?  I’m going to go ahead and assume that any of the hundreds of local restaurants or caterers here in the city would have made room on their slate for a city hall function with a normal amount of notice, and would probably appreciate the business even more than Sam Katz’s already overstuffed pockets might.

Anyway, to this end, I emailed my city councillor Jenny Gerbasi, who has a long history of publicly defying Sam and just generally sticking in his craw.  I like this.  I emailed her Saturday morning when the story first appeared (Mayor Tells City To Go Eff Itself) and actually heard back from her on Sunday morning, stating it was she who had alerted the media to this repeat offense, and has refused to attend this function since the mayor started using it as an opportunity for personal profit.  Sam Katz is like Nickelback or the Conservative party.  No one seems to like him, but he always seems to do well….This city is so effing terrified of change, even when changing might mean a more ethical city hall and not existing for the sole purpose of making a rich asshole richer.

For those of you who caught the Victoria's Secret fashion show tonight, can we all agree it was pretty spectacular?  Maybe not the most spectacular they've ever done, but pretty close.  Plus they were without Heidi Klum for the first time, and it was definitely noticeable :(  Sparkly and fantastic though.  My 2 favorite looks were on Miranda Kerr and Alessandra Ambrosio (pics below), 2 absolutely gorgeous women who you would never guess in a million years have both had children.
This bra is apparently worth $2.5 million    

This was actually much sparklier on TV :)


The only glaring ickiness of the evening was seeing Karlie Kloss' sternum as though you were looking at an X-ray.  You just wanted to make the poor girl a sandwich.

Moving on.....

Our beloved Bombers lost the Grey Cup on Sunday evening.  It was heartbreaking to watch, not because we deserved to win and were robbed, we weren't, this city could really just have used the boost, that's all.  The Bombers really didn't start playing til late in the 4th quarter, and by then it was too little, too late.  B.C, as much as I hate to admit it, played an awesome game.

Friday, November 18, found me and my best gal waiting in line, like so many other silly girls, for the opening night of Breaking Dawn Part 1.  I was satisfied.  Not thrilled, not disappointed, just satisfied.  It was fairly true to the book, and now the final installment won't be out for another year.  It's already been shot!  It's done!  Put it out!  Yeesh!

Things on the ICU front continue to chug along.  I have about a week and a half left in MICU, and as of yesterday, decided to do my 10 week specialized orientation in SICU.  Which means I am in the absolute middle of the course.  It feels like it's been much, much longer than 12 weeks already though.

Take care everyone! 

(Yes, I know the font changes about halfway through, and it refuses to be fixed!)

"It's a hell of a thing, to be able to recognize what makes you happy" - Lucille Ball


No comments:

Post a Comment