Wednesday, May 29, 2013

For Dr. Henry Morgentaler.

The news is beginning to spread that Canadian abortion activist and pioneer Dr. Henry Morgentaler passed away this morning at the age of 90.  Unlike some of his American compatriots, he was afforded the luxury of a long life, and one that should be celebrated.  I would like to share a piece of writing I did in 2008 about Dr. Morgentaler as he was about to receive the Order of Canada. I don't currently possess words any better to express my feelings about him and the work he's done.

" Dr. Henry Morgentaler has changed what it means to be a woman in Canada, and in my opinion, for the better.   I have always been shocked to know that abortion in Canada has only been fully legal only TWENTY years.  Dr. Morgentaler was hugely instrumental in legalizing this procedure and giving women a safe, dignified choice when unwanted pregnancy occurred.  Prior to this, women had to go to unqualified, back alley quacks, and often died of massive infection or hemorrhage.  Dr. Morgentaler reasoned that since women were going to attempt abortion whether or not it was legal, it was morally and ethically responsible to provide it in a knowledgeable, sterile manner.  This past week there has been a huge amount of controversy as to whether or not this man deserves to receive the Order of Canada.  A small, but incredibly vocal minority seem to feel he is a murderer and that Canada is somehow condoning murder.  Clearly this is not the case.  According to the law, the fetus is just that.  A fetus.  Not a person.  Thus the termination of same constitutes a medical procedure, not murder.  An egg is not a chicken.  A blueprint is not a building.  This is a stipulation that has both positive and negative implications, but one that must be black and white to avoid setting a dangerous precedent.
 
The lives he has saved both literally and figuratively are immeasurable in number.  Dr. Morgentaler believes every child should be a wanted child, and that carrying through with unwanted pregnancies and raising unwanted children is contributing to the general downfall of society.  He says “Well-loved children grow into adults who do not build concentration camps, do not rape and do not murder” (He himself is a survivor of Auschwitz).  I have always felt that with the reproductive and adoption options available today, there is no reason for any child to be raised in a household where they are not wanted, valued and cherished.  When you are pregnant, and have made the decision to continue with it, in my mind, you are making the commitment to be the best parent you are capable of being, and if you are not able to make this commitment you shouldn’t even consider raising a child.

As a woman growing up in a different era from my mother, with different options available to me, I cannot fathom what life used to be like for women who found themselves "in trouble", annd I know it is as a result of this man that this is a reality I will never know.  I would like to take this opportunity to acknowledge an incredible human being for his hard work, dedication, and substantial sacrifice to a cause that makes an invaluable difference to women in this country every single day.  I can think of no contribution that makes an individual more deserving of the Order of Canada."


 

No comments:

Post a Comment