We have come upon Miz Becca's very favorite time of year (well, technically every 2 years): The Olympics. Summer or winter, I love them both, there are just more events I get excited about in the summer ones. My personal favorites are gymnastics, beach volleyball, synchronized diving, trampoline, water polo, and swimming (though towards the end of the week, one truly has had enough of it). My least favorite stuff to watch includes boxing (my grandmother would be so disappointed), cycling of any variety, but particular the long distances, tennis, and equestrian (I'm sure just because I don't understand it). Racewalking makes me want to wet my pants, it's so hilarious to watch. Which is not to suggest I think there's not a HUGE amount of athleticism involved in it (these people walk MUCH faster than a lot of people jog), they just look like a cluster of Gumbies while doing it. And the color commentary is to DIE for ("What a brilliant display of walking!!!!"). Anyways I'm currently too engrossed in the men's 10,000 metres to write something as involved as I would normally do in this circumstance, so I've elected to go with a bullet-point list (in no particular order) of things that have particularly plucked my Olympics heartstrings:
- watching the women's 10,000 metres and seeing the Ethiopians and Kenyans start to lap the white people (this was more amusing than heartwarming)
- the first gold won by a Canadian athlete, Rosie McLennan on the trampoline. Such a sweetheart.
- the amazing finish by the Canadian women's gymnastics team. They've never qualified for a team final before, and they finished 5th. Amazing.
- the fact that there's a Chinese trampolinist named Dong Dong. For real.
- Gabby Douglas winning the all around gold medal in women's gymnastics. A fierce competitor, and a smile that could light up the world.
- This Ryan Lochte article.
- Jessica Zelinka's abs. And arms. Seriously.
- the Canadian women's soccer team putting on such an amazing show, even knocking out the hosting British.
- the Royal family showing up at SO many events! I love William and Kate, they've so put a new and improved face on the Royal institution.
- South African swimmer Chad Le Clos' father giving this interview to the media. It just really reminds you how many people support and love and sacrifice for the athletes who end up competing in the Olympics.
- CTV's Difference Maker video about Dylan Armstrong and his Russian coach Anatoly Bondarchuk. They were making dinner together, Dylan making this huge plate of roasted vegetables, and his coach taking a steak, dousing it in vodka and cooking it almost black. A little too Russian lol
- 80,000 people singing along to God Save The Queen as Jessica Ennis won her gold medal in women's heptathlon. Goosebumps.
- South Africa's Oscar Pistorius not only competing, but advancing in, the men's 400 metres. It's so remarkable, and he's so patient and sweet continually answering the same bloody questions from the media over and over again.
- And perhaps my favorite of all, US swimmer Nathan Adrian. I don't see what all the fuss about Ryan Lochte is.
This is in no way everything amazing I've seen or read about, but it's the highlights so far. I hope you are all enjoying the Olympics and getting swept up in your respective country's fervent nationalism for another week ;)






No comments:
Post a Comment